Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Salvation Army Top Refashion

Happy New Year!  I recently went to a thrift store to buy paint clothes, and I came away with an impulse buy.  This vintage feed-sack print blouse was originally a size XL standard button-up. Nevertheless, the pin tucking and smocking at the front was difficult to resist.

With some help from one of Renegade Seamstress's tutorials, I turned it into a much more fitted, feminine blouse.  Check it out:

I was really scared of cutting off and then re-setting in the sleeves.  I haven't done sleeves in a long time, and the curve seems so mysterious.  With the help of Merrick's Art's tutorial on designing new sleeves, I was able to get the shape of the sleeve cap to fit the armscye on the first try!  Ok, so maybe I got lucky this time.  Either way, sleeves seem a bit less scary now.

The hardest part was dealing with the sheer polyester fabric.  It was kind of fragile and had a tendency to pucker with the stitches.  I had to lower the pressure of my presser foot to avoid puckering the seams too much.  It wasn't easy, but I think it turned out well enough to wear.

Happy Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment